Universal Background Screening Announces Partnership with LawLogix to Offer I-9/E-Verify Solutions for Employers
PHOENIX, AZ, June 15, 2009– Universal Background Screening, a leading national provider of background screening, drug testing and related services, announced today a strategic partnership with LawLogix, the industry leader in electronic I-9 and E-Verify compliance management technology. The two companies have worked together for over a year, and now with dozens of mutual customers, took this step to work more closely to offer a comprehensive background screening and I-9 solution to Universal’s customers.
With this partnership, Universal clients will have greater access to LawLogix’s customized I-9 solution, Guardian, which streamlines an organization’s entire I-9 process, while facilitating compliance with state and federal E-Verify guidelines.
The partnership will be of particular benefit to Universal’s large base of clients in the healthcare sector and others that act as federal contractors in light of the recent implementation of Executive Order 12989, mandating that all Federal Contractors participate in E-Verify, the online federal work authorization verification system. On November 14, 2008 the USCIS published a Final Rule in the Federal Register, announcing that federal contractors and subcontractors will be required to begin using the E-Verify system starting Jan. 15, 2009, to verify employees’ eligibility to work in the United States.
Federal contracts awarded and solicitations issued after Jan. 15, 2009 will include a clause committing government contractors to use E-Verify. The same clause will also be required in subcontracts over $3,000 for services or construction. Companies awarded a contract with the federal government will be required to enroll in E-Verify within 30 days of the contract award date. They will also need to begin using the E-Verify system to confirm that all of their new hires and their current employees working directly on federal contracts are authorized to legally work in the United States.
All Universal Background Screening customers will benefit from the Universal-LawLogix partnership. The arrangement will:
- Provide organizations the ability to securely transition to an electronic, paperless and integrated I-9 system using a federally-approved E-Verify service
- Allow clients to migrate pre-existing I-9s to an electronic format for a smooth transition from their paper process
- Facilitate secure storage of electronic I-9s and Section II supporting documents with a web-based SAS70/ SOX-compliant software-as-a-service (SaaS) application
- Guarantee accurate completion of I-9s with automatic error-checking of field data
- Ensure that HR professionals handle E-Verify Tentative Non-Confirmations (TNC) correctly with step-by- step processes, auto- populated SSA notification, referral letters and detailed tutorials
- Capture electronic signatures, along with automated I-9 expiration and re-verification reminders
“With LawLogix, Universal Background Screening clients can proactively avoid I-9 penalties and violations, and reduce their risk of being sanctioned in the event of an I-9 audit,” said Ryan Krostue, Chief Executive Officer of Universal Background Screening.
“Executive Order 12989, which now requires all federal contractors to use E-Verify or risk losing federal contracting eligibility, is one of dozens of examples as to why companies must take proactive steps to enhance their I-9 compliance solutions,” states Dan Siciliano, CEO of LawLogix. “The partnership between Universal Background and the LawLogix Guardian solution provides an electronic strategy for smart companies, saving them both time and money.”
For more information about this partnership and other Universal Background Screening products and services, please visitwww.universalbackgroud.com/i9.