7 Perks of LawLogix’s Virtual I-9 Palooza 2020
Similar to most organizations in 2020, we held our annual I-9 Palooza conference as a virtual event. The interactive and information-packed sessions spanned from October 20th – 29th. And while I-9 Palooza has always been a “can’t-miss” event for Human Resources and Compliance professionals, this year’s event crushed expectations and drew record attendance. After an unprecedented year in the relaxation of the Form I-9 rules, it was clear that HR professionals were eager to hear and participate in discussions around the latest I-9 and E-Verify industry updates, strategies for efficiently and compliantly navigating remote hiring, Q&A on I-9 enforcement, the nuts and bolts of effective I-9 policy-making, trusted framework for I-9 remediation, and more.
We’ve rounded up our best takeaways from the event, in the words of our very own attendees:
- “One-stop-shop for all of the latest I-9 and E-Verify industry updates”In case you didn’t already know, I-9 Palooza is a one-of-a-kind event and the only conference in the world dedicated to the Form I-9 and E-Verify processes. So it’s no surprise that the virtual conference kicked-off with one of the best round-ups of timely and critical federal policy updates regarding I-9 and E-Verify, including: in-depth information on the virtual I-9 verification rule, temporary I-9 and E-Verify exceptions, electronic signature requirements, dealing with delayed EADs, E-Verify updates and more.
- “Great Insight into How ICE Operates with Regards to Audits”What better way to hear how ICE operates with regards to audits than to hear from ICE itself? That’s exactly what happened in this popular session, which covered topics such as: how employers are chosen for an I-9 inspection, typical scope of an audit, E-Verify use in relation to audits, pandemic enforcement issues, review of I-9 penalty calculations, what ICE looks for in an electronic I-9 system, and an ever-popular question and answer session. That’s right, asking your most burning I-9 questions and getting real answers, directly from ICE.
- “Better Understanding of Remote Hiring and the Virtual Verification Exception”Let’s face it, for many organizations, even when the pandemic is over, remote hiring is here to stay. During I-9 Palooza, attendees got the facts straight with regards to the virtual verification exception – for instance, when should you use it, what happens when it ends, what follow-up is required, frequently asked questions and more. In addition, attendees heard from their HR peers at other organizations how they are managing their remote hires using authorized agents, including strategies to maximize efficiency and mitigate risk, real-life remote workflow examples and overall tips and best practices for navigating remote hiring.
- “Helpful Tips on Creating an I-9 Policy”In case you were wondering, the answer is “Yes”, you do need an I-9 Policy in place. The problem is, many employers have no idea where to start or what a well-documented I-9 Policy would look like. In this session, attendees learned the nuts and bolts of a well-defined I-9 Policy from I-9 experts and HR peers, including: defining your hiring practices, policy and procedure essentials, the role of technology, dealing with the unexpected, sample policies, and finally, a very useful question and answer session.
- “Audit Risks and Discrimination Compliance”If you’re in charge of the I-9 function at your organization, it’s imperative that you have an understanding of I-9 related discrimination and its consequences. Eye-opening and informative, the session on I-9 discrimination compliance reviewed the background of the Immigrant and Employee Rights Section, the four types of prohibited conduct, unfair documentary practices, as well as common and tricky examples of “compliant vs noncompliant” I-9 processes.
- “I-9 Compliance is Key, Including Correcting Your Old I-9s”Need a crash course in what the heck to do with all of your old I-9s that may be out of compliance? Luckily, attendees got the inside scoop in terms of: how to audit I-9s, using an I-9 audit checklist, identifying I-9 procedures, building and deploying an I-9 remediation strategy, and using software systems to facilitate I-9 remediation. For many employers, the thought of addressing their historical I-9s can be outright overwhelming, but this session broke down I-9 remediation into easy-to-understand, straight-forward and actionable items. Moreover, attendees benefitted from real-world examples of I-9 remediation from other leading organizations across the US.
- “Jam-Packed with an Outstanding Array of Presenters”This year’s event had some of the best I-9 experts and speakers to date, including representatives from: ICE, DOJ, Global Business Advisers, Seyfarth Shaw LLP, Klasko Immigration Law, Accenture, Whole Foods Market, Bank of the West, Intuit, Bose, McKinney & Evans LLP and Kersey Immigration Compliance, LLC. The I-9 and E-Verify expertise shared throughout this year’s virtual event was arguably the most comprehensive and useful advice out there for HR and compliance managers. Furthermore, this year’s event included a widely popular “Ask the Expert” panel discussion, which gave attendees the rare opportunity to get their toughest I-9 and E-Verify related questions answered on the spot.
Ready to get-in on the action? Join us next year at I-9 Palooza 2021, Click here to be notified when registration opens!